Monday, July 17, 2017

Custom Castle Grayskull Paint Job done! Here is how! Lots of pics!

Hi all,

Remember Castle Grayskull? The 1980s MOTU toy playset?

Look how kinda ugly it was. You'd never know there was tons of detail..unless you re-painted it.


About 3 months ago, I got it in my head that I wanted to do a custom Castle Grayskull paint job for fun.

I'm a member of a few MOTU (Masters of the Universe) fan groups on FB and I saw a lot of people collecting and piecing together Grayskulls. And it looked like fun. I never had one growing up. I had plenty of the action figures, but no playsets. I was never a playset kinda kid. My primary toy collection was GI JOES anyway...

So I watched eBay for weeks on end. I saw all sorts of Castle Grayskulls for sale. Complete. Almost complete. Some for $150. Some for $100. It seemed like I could not buy one for less than $80. I made some offers, kept getting declined. During this search, I realized I don't really want to piece together one, all I really want is to paint one up nice. 

Then one night. Big surprise! I found one for around $30. It was basically just the shell. And that was all I needed. So I placed an offer and it was accepted. Around $45 total. BOOM!

After it arrived, I gave it a good bath. (I made sure it was from a smoke free home...but it was still dirty.)

Once it was clean, I put a thick layer of Gesso on it. Then another.

People loved this on FB. Made me want to leave it as is.


After the two layers of Gesso I started adding the browns.

And I painted the door.

That's my wife's hand. Not mine. :)
The door was separate, so I painted it with 8 layers of paint: Dark Brown, Red-Brown, Light Brown, and a nearly Black-Brown. I dry brushed it with Black and White too. I even used a mist of spray paint to antique it some. I did all this before moving on to the main castle.

Oh, Castle Grayskull...I will make you glorious again!

Just looking at the castle, I was scared to start. I knew what to do, but was worried I would ruin it. I started with a dark hunter green and painted it with two coats. This took 2-3 days.

 I wanted to make sure it was a good clean base coat.


After that, I started layering in the different shades of green. Here are a few progress shots.





Almost done! Was still working on the rocks at bottom.

Once the painting was done, I sprayed it with a Krylon Matte Sealant spray. A fixative.

Looking good, right? Love it or List it?

I wanted to take this good job and turn it into a great job. So I added moss!

The moss really sells it! Curb appeal!



I am very happy with the end results! I could not wait to photograph it!

Some lights added for photos!

Fits the Loyal Subjects He-Man perfectly in scale!
Skeletor is pissed! Maybe I should do Snake Mountain next.
So it took me about 8 days. I put a lot of layers of paint on this 1980's toy...that basically looked like something someone would throw away, and I made it freaking-amazing, move-in-ready, for He-Man.

Hope you all enjoyed the pictures and brief explanation. And if you have one you want me to paint, or want to buy one and have me paint it...please contact me.


Kevin James Breaux
www.kevinbreaux.com

No comments:

Post a Comment