Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Kevin James Breaux signs with Agent Marisa A. Corvisiero


I did it!



It’s funny. Sunday night, I went to bed feeling exhausted. Just feeling really horrible about myself. Full of doubt. Yeah, I kinda wanted to cry. 


I woke up the next morning around 7:30am. I walked downstairs to turn on my computer, and while I was waiting I turned on my phone. I was half-awake when I looked at my inbox on my phone and my eyes were still sleep-blurred. I scanned over my emails and saw one I was waiting for but in my poor attitude from the night before, seriously doubted I would see. I opened the email and speed read it. To my complete and utter disbelief, I saw words in that email I had only dreamt of (and fantasized about) in emails but never had seen before. It was an offer of representation


I wanted to shout. I wanted to cheer. But I still could not believe what I read. So, I read it again as I walked back up the stairs. It was true. An agent liked my work and wanted to represent me. 


When I opened the bedroom door, I woke up my wife. Not knowing what else to do, I held my phone high above my head, it’s glow like a torch, and I said, “I did it.”  She looked confused so I repeated. “I *&%$# got an agent. I finally did it.”


I made her day.


When I replied to the agent’s email, I was so filled with adrenaline that my hands were shaking. Typos? Yeah…lots of them. My whole day forward was filled with bliss-filled typos. I was just so excited that I couldn’t seem to type anything right. :)
 

But man, I got my agent. Finally. AND I got a good one.


It all feels like a dream. I have been hunting and chasing agents since 1999. Even more fervently since 2007. I’ve kept a very detailed database and many spreadsheets. I tracked all my queries; marked down when they were sent and when they were replied to and of course if they were rejections or requests for more work. I kept all those files. I mean, they represented a lot of hours of work.  Dozens of snail mail letters and tons of emails. I mean a metric butt ton! (OK…probably close to two thousand emails.) 


But as they say. It only takes one. 


After all these years. After so much hard work. I finally got my one. 


Welcome my agent:  

Literary Agent - Marisa A. Corvisiero, Esq of the Corvisiero Literary Agency.


That was my Monday. I was in a haze all day. I was busy responding to emails, messages, FB and Twitter comments. People wanted to know what my big news was. They wanted to know what I was hinting at. But hey, I was afraid to jinx it. And like I said. I was in a haze. I had won the lottery, the big jackpot. NO WHAMMIES got me! I was floating high on life…and by the end of the day I was exhausted. lol


Tuesday, I spoke with Marisa and she OK’d the announcement. So I quickly made it. I wanted so bad to make it something like, “Today will be a day that will live in infamy.” But that was taken, and infamy is BAD! ;)


Yeah, I wanted to say something witty, but I was still in a haze and felt like this was all a dream. So I just spilled it.


Take a moment… Wow. I’m proof that hard work pays off. 


People really do win on MTV! (That’s for all of you old enough to remember that catch phrase.)


I worked hard. I never gave up. I made sacrifices. I saw the good and bad of the industry I wanted so badly to be a part of. I went to war. I saw combat. I got the scars to prove it. But again, I never quit.

What did we repeat everyday in Karate? Winners never quit. Quitters never win. I choose to be a winner. Well, I choose to be a winner. And man, do I feel blessed.


I’m truly humbled by this. I feel so lucky to have all the support of all my social media friends. I’ve had some really nice and great people lift me up through the years, from my mentor Jonathan Maberry to my editor Gretchen Stelter. I’ve had the endless support of my parents. The love of my wife, who has seen writing make me so happy… and constant rejection really give me a good beating. I have support from people that I met years ago playing WoW, or met through reviews of my older books. Good people who, for some reason, have stuck by me all this time and still encourage me and reward me with sincere applause for my achievements. 


Those people are all angels in my book. (Hey, as a writer, yes, I could make them all angels in my books…so... Ha!)


As I type this, I’m very aware of how lucky I am and how everything has changed overnight. I’m becoming what I have wanted for a very long time. I’m getting my wish. It’s exciting. Then again, nothing has changed at all. I’m still going to work hard. I’m still going to help my friends. Hell, I remember when my mentor told me he would not be happy until his whole group succeeded. I know how he feels. I want to bring home a win for everyone now, and then I want to make sure the other people who I know are working just as hard as I am also reach their goals. 


That’s what real winners do.

Thanks all,

Write Makes Might!
Kevin James Breaux
www.kevinbreaux.com

             

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Kevin! That is a huge achievement and what many of us writers dream about. Well, you deserve it so enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete