Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Writing and Rejections and Writing some more - Kevin James Breaux

It's all about the mission.



Hi all,


So, I got hit with a hard rejection a few weeks back. It happens. And I am used to it. It helps to have spent almost eight years in art school where I had to sit for at least 8-12 hours a week in critiques. Man, those last couple years of school had some brutal critiques that were 100% devoid of constructive criticism. I remember it well, students spitting poison at each other. Yuck! It was horrible, but it tempered my armor for  rejections, so I'm happy I survived the experience.

If you follow me here and Facebook, you know I had a book with my old mentor, Jonathan Maberry's super awesome - super professional - amazing deal making agent. She's great. I really wanted to be her client.

I hit the jackpot just having her request the full novel(my Viking Age Dark Fantasy/Horror). I know this well. She's a busy lady. :) So after four months, a respectable amount of time, not long in comparison to some... she sent me a nice email that was personalized. NOT a form letter. She went on to commend me as an author, and told me how much she truly "loves my writing". She said I was "a super talent" but my book did not fit her list. See, it was too much Dark Fantasy and she only covers Horror.

I really wanted to be represented by the same agent as my buddy and teacher, Maberry. It would have been like being on the same winning team. I love being part of a good team, so when the rejection happened it hurt. It really hurt. BUT at the same time, I really respected her time with my book and her time to write me a personal message and compliment me. So I lived. :)

I very much respect that agent. She's all class and professionalism. Of course - two things I would love to have in a agent. :)

So what have I been doing since this rejection? Writing, editing and sending queries. You cannot succeed without trying. And I have proved, time and time again, that I'm not a quitter. I work hard and when I get rejections that only fires me up to work harder. I believe in the dream. More importantly, I believe that hard work must pay off, or dreams will die.


No one stands between me and my dream. lol


At the moment, I'm 16,000 words into the sequel to my unpublished Urban Fantasy novel. I have been writing it and then going back and re-reading it. I'm submerging myself into it. Taking my time. Feeling it. Truly feeling it...and it's going great!

I have also been re-editing SOUL BORN, which was a mess. It still burns me how the small press publisher botched the edit job on that book and made such a mess of it. Granted, my skills as an author have WELL improved since I wrote the book back in 2005-2007... but man... it needed lots of help. I'm about half way through the first new edit pass and I'm fixing a lot of things. I will do a second pass and then send it to my editor to check my work. I hope to have it back out there for my fans and friends by the Summer.

Lastly, I'm brainstorming a short story I owe a publisher for a new anthology. Going to be a busy next 2-4 weeks. I will keep you all posted. Wish me luck finding an agent, because that is the mission.

Write Makes Might!

Thanks all,


Kevin James Breaux
www.kevinbreaux.com




No comments:

Post a Comment