Thursday, January 30, 2014

2013 Life - Kevin James Breaux


I had to break up my end of the year post into writing life and gaming life.... but I forgot to add life life.
Here's the rest of 2013….


What a weird year. It was a good year and a bad year. I really wish I could label it one way or the other. There was just so much chaos combined with winning and losing. So strange…

I worked harder than I ever have, but it’s nearly impossible to show it. I edited two books three times. THREE TIMES!!! There were weeks that I worked six or seven days and ten hours a day(or more).

Editing. Editing. Editing….

I also wrote a MG book and edited that one a few times too.
Looking back, most of the year is now a blur. A blur of back pain, editing, heartbreak and having tons of fun re-watching ALIAS and Battlestar Galactica(new).  

You know, I have learned to embrace editing. It’s a pain, but a necessary one. I kinda like it now. But I would prefer to be writing. Or at least a better balance of writing and editing. :)

Oh…we can't forget this. Much of 2013, I was busy keeping the outside negative forces from coming in.

COBRA? The Decepticons? V.E.N.O.M? The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants? 

No. No. No. No.
You artists know what I mean by negative forces, all those detractors, stressors, takers, etc. Man, it can be tough fighting off all of those. You put up your wall and you say, STAY OUT! But those things have +5 claws of wall climbing. lol... cry...

So what else happened in 2013….life wise? Well…I took a IQ test early in the year. I’ve taken them before in the past few years, but I wanted a legit one. A for reals one. I waited for a testing day, went to a school, and took two tests.  Surprise! I scored big! I managed to score in the top 2% with a score of 132-134. Take that MENSA!

But Kevin, you got bad grades in school and college. Yeah, because I was bored and not properly motivated. I always had a feeling that if I could squeeze by with the least amount of work possible, and still pass, that was fine by me. Good grades never excited me. Not until my last two years of college which I pulled my GPA up into the 3.4-3.5 range and did have one perfect 4.0 semester.

I'll never forget when I was at BCCC and I took a trip to Princeton University. I came home that night and said to my dad, “Umm, you should've told me places like that existed when I was in middle school. I might have tried harder.” He laughed.

I had my tenth wedding anniversary in 2013…yay!!! But, I learned that most of my family does not care or think it's worth celebrating a 10th. (but wait until my one cousin hits her 10th, I know there will be a party then…gah!)

Other 2013 events include the death of my dog Amelia. Which hit hard. She was almost 13 and had been with my wife and I since we first moved in together. She had lived with us in all three of our houses and had been a good protector and a big pain in the ass. But we loved her. It happened so sudden. Middle of the night in mid August. I still miss her.


It was a tough year of migraines too. I decided to start tracking them on Jan.1 2013. I wanted to see if I could figure out the cause. I had 59 migraines in 2013. A few of them I managed to overcome,  but more than half of them knocked me out for a day. Lost days….oh how I hate lost days…

I started working out again this year, and started following a better diet. That has helped a lot. But has not changed the migraines. :(

I made two big purchases in 2013, and I have to thank my father for teaching me how to do so. All those years I paid such close attention to my father’s negotiation skills…I'm so glad I did.

All that being said…I feel, in many ways, I spent 2013 getting better…faster…stronger…more skilled at writing. I faced my trial by fire and now, in 2014, I am ready to reemerge. Reborn. POW! I might need theme music.  

LOL.


Oh, like I said above, I re-watched ALIAS, StarBlazers and the 2004 Battlestar Galactica in 2013. Actually, I am about 4 eps from finishing BSG. Re-watching my favorite shows helps me shut my brain off and actually relax. Conversely, it also fires me up creatively.  I find it to be a great catharsis and I'm thankful I can spend some spare time doing so. I will do a post about BSG later. I really love that show. It is in my top 3.

Right now, I am weighting my options of what to watch again. I am thinking of doing Mutant-X and Pirates of Dark Water. But I would also like to watch Twin Peaks, Legend of the Seeker, LOST and Forever Knight again. Hmm….

Anyway, I have big plans for 2014 and I'm ready to go. Ready to get things moving and get things done! I'm all heart and soul, baby. Good karma out. Positive energy out.


Write Makes Might!
Kevin James Breaux

No comments:

Post a Comment