Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Rewatching Star Trek Deep Space Nine. Wait how old is Sisko?


Star Trek Deep Space Nine has to be my favorite show of the 1990s. It aired from 1993-1999. Yes, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was on in the 90s, but late. So I mean a show that ran entirely in the 1990s, and during a time where I had just finished high school and was in college. Deep Space Nine is also my favorite of the Star Trek television shows. I loved that it was serialized, in fact, this was the first show that I watched that I realized was serialized and it’s where I learned the term. Now I prefer all my shows to be formatted as such.


I was a loyal follower of the show, saw every episode, and then saw them all again and again in repeats. I have said in interviews that I used to watch repeats Deep Space Nine on some local PA-NJ channel on a small B+W TV in my office when writing early drafts of SOUL BORN. I loved the show that much!

It has been a few years since the show has been on the air. So when Netflix offered up all 176 episodes I was thrilled and started right up watching them. At the moment I am finished season 1 and 2 and I am excited to begin season 3, as it starts one of the biggest story-arcs.

You know, its funny, when I was younger I never really thought about the ages of the actors playing my favorite characters on shows, but now, at 37, I find myself obsessed with it. Like while watching Hercules this summer, I realized Kevin Sorbo and I were the same age… well… now we are… kinda. See, when I watched Hercules I was in my early twenties and he was in his late 30s. I had no idea how old he was then, but now when I watch it he and I are the same age. So I kinda relate more to him now.

My obsession with finding out the ages of the actors carried right over into Deep Space Nine, when during the first episode I was like… Hey, I wonder how old Kira is?

When Grandma comes to dinner you have a Nana Visitor? Get it... yeah I didn't either.

 (funny story, I meet her at a Star Trek Convention in Valley Forge, PA when I was probably 20 years old. She teased my friend Chris... I wonder how old I thought she was then. Actually, I don’t think I cared)


Anyway I started my research.

Let's pick Star Trek Deep Space Nine season two as the place to start. The year was 1994. I was 20.

Ben Sisko- played by Avery Brooks would have been 48 years old during season two.

--There is no way I would have imagined he was 48 back then, or even now as I watch it. He looks so young!

Dax- played by Terry Farrell would have been 31 years old during season two.

--I guess this makes sense, as back then I think I assumed everyone on the show was in their 30s for some reason.

O’Brien – played by Colm Meaney would have been 41 years old during season two.

--Re-watching it now, I think there is a conversation early in season two where Dax and the Doctor guess that O’Brien is not 40 yet. That's funny now that I know he was actually 41. I am watching Hell on Wheels, which Colm is in, and this guy does not age.

Kira – played by Nana Visitor would have been 37 during season two.

---That shocked me. I would have imagined she was the same age as Terry Farrell. I am 37 now, and watching season 2 I have a hard time imagining Nana and I are the same age, she looks much younger. And since when was she a red head? I remembered her with brown hair... so strange.

Bashir – Played by Alexander Siddig would have been 29 years old.

Other than Jake and Nog, he would have been the closest to my age. This I find hard to believe too, as I would have figured he was older than 29. At least he acted older.

Why does this matter to me now more than before? I guess because I am getting older and find it easier to relate to older characters? I do remember a time, in high school, when I found out all the original 90210 actors where in their mid twenties, except that one guy who was in his thirties. I was really disturbed that such older actors were all playing teenagers.


ah, the sweet comfort of the 80s...

I mean, Magnum P.I. felt like a show about a guy in his mid thirties and well... Tom Selleck was in his mid thirties. That worked for me as a kid. Now Paul Wesley, on the Vampire Diaries plays a 17 year old vampire. He is currently 29 years old. Hmm… in about six years the guy will be old enough to be his own father.

Now that is weird.


Kevin James Breaux
http://www.kevinbreaux.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment