Sunday, November 21, 2010

Kevin's First Adventure!

Adventure for Atari 2600

Back in the early-early 1980s my dad bought me an Atari 2600. I credit this moment, and this system, as being the birth of my love for video games. I still remember most of the games, and have a small collection of them unopened and sitting displayed on a shelf in my media room. I especially like the ones made by Atari because of the amazing painted cover art. (like Atari Video Olympics)

Here is a photo of me and my friend Matt playing what looks like Raiders of the Lost Ark on Atari. This is the earliest photo of me as a gamer. I was probably 6-7 year old at the time, and yes I was rocking an awesome bowl cut.

(wood grain atari and wood  grain tv!)

Of all the Atari games the one that stands out the most to me is Adventure. I guess you could say it was one of the first, if not THE first Action RPG game. Castles, mazes, swords and treasure, oh yeah, count me in. Your quest was to find the chalice and return it to your golden castle while avoiding hungry dragons and a kleptomaniac bat.

I will never forget the day I was sitting at Matt’s house and figured my way around the one maze to the white castle. We were so excited! He and I thought we had discovered something no one else ever had. Call the press!

One of the things I loved so much about Adventure was that it was different each time you played. The chalice was in different locations and the items you needed to find it were too. Just when you think you had what you needed the darn bat would steal it or you would run around the corner and right into one of the dragon’s mouths.

Everyone who played Adventure had a love-hate relationship with those dragons. I mean they looked funny like a dragon-duck hybrid and they had a hollow, see through stomach, which coincidentally was a perfect fit for your little square character. Hey, ever kill the dragon as he swallowed you? Yeah, me too and oh… I could just sit there for hours and watch myself wiggle in the dead dragon’s stomach while being flown around by the bat. Priceless.


Adventure http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_(Atari_2600) was one of the first fantasy games I played and no doubt the spark for a long love of the genre. I just wish I could make a SOUL BORN game for Atari 2600, that would be rad!


Kevin James Breaux
http://www.kevinbreaux.com/

1 comment:

  1. My sister and brother-in-law had Atari, and I loved playing it when I was little. They had Keystone Capers, Frogger, Centipede, Asteroids. There were more, but I was so little I can't really remember. I spent a lot of time @ my other sister's house when she got a Nintendo, and I remember playing Altered Beast when I was a older. I know it's not an Atari game, but did you ever play that? Fun times.

    ReplyDelete